Before The Moving Truck Arrives
Depending on the amount of time before you long distance move; you’ll want to schedule the following items on your calendar, preferably using a pencil so changes can be made – however this up front preparation will allow you to remove the need to “remember” everything and instead allow you to focus, knowing you’ve thought of everything.
At a minimum, fill in the following items on per-determined dates – with the goal of either accomplishing the task OR making an effort to get the answer to how and when to proceed with the target item.
Long Distance Moving Tasks To Keep In Mind
- Notify your landlord in writing of your move out date [renters]
- If purchasing a new home, get the loan approval documents in hand.
- Obtain and sign the real estate contract if selling the current house.
- Did you receive a company buy out offer? Accept or decline.
- Obtain documents for new house purchase; [Signed Contract]
- If renting, get signed contract and plan for applicable fees [deposit, etc.]
- Determine, one way moving truck and/or destination storage.
- Get moving quotes from up to 6 competing moving truck companies.
- Compare apples to apples for all moving truck quotes.
Note: interstate move rates can be quite competitive.
Tip: packing a moving truck yourself can save $$$.
- Determine when new home loan final approval is certain.
- Get home appraisal if needed for financing.
- Schedule new home closing date, plan, time and location.
- Get new auto insurance quotes and homeowners coverage.
- Plan a travel day “after” the moving company has left, [accommodations?]
- Schedule packing day(s)
- Plan house walk through, with notepad and plan supplies needed.
- Schedule your specific moving day.
- Plan final walk through of new house.
- Schedule move with moving quotes company – plan unpacking day.
- Prepare change of address form – can be done online [usps.com].
- Verify your home financing will fund by required date.
- Determine when to cancel utilities and when to schedule turn ons.
- Cancel all home deliveries and in home services.
- Plan new drivers license and motor vehicle licenses as required.
- Be prepared with moving company claim form and photo documentation.
- Clean present location and request deposit refund if earned [renters].
A well planned move allows you to make it a Home Sweet Home adventure.
Yes, moving is a huge job, and you’ll be exhausted both physically and mentally. Even though it make take six plus months to feel at home, your new location will eventually feel like home again.
Almost every home owner, renter or mover has to experience these changing feelings at some time, but don’t blame yourself – we’ve all been there and a well planned move can ease the anxieties.
Setting up new routines and making new friends can make your move seem less taxing and bring some stability back into your life during this transition period.
We can help make your move easier and more cost effective with 100% Free Long Distance Moving Quotes << Get A Moving Quote Today.